Questions about dog behavior and training? Send them to:
sandersagility@gmail.com.



Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mother Bear Rises Up

There are some types of people I simply do not allow in my life, let alone my home.

Politics aside, I don't care how "brilliant" or "intelligent" or "crucial" a person is perceived to be by others....if he voices derogatory, insulting remarks about my dogs (children) that were unfounded, disrespectful, cruel and profane, I would eject him (physically, if necessary) from my house and tell him to permanently hit the bricks and don't look back.  No one is so "valuable" to society that he has license to insult children or dogs with demeaning profanity.

Rahm Emanuel, who is Obama's chief of staff, has long been known to commonly use extremely profane and insulting language in totally inappropriate situations (as if there is an appropriate time for such behavior).  In a soon-to-be-released book written by Jonathan Alter, a senior editor at Newsweek, Emanuel's "colorful" language is illustrated.  Among the many quotes containing the f-bomb expletive is Emanuel's emotional outburst, "I'm going to kill that f---ing dog."  Emanuel is, of course, referring to Bo, the Obamas' Portuguese water dog, who has occasional indoor potty accidents in Emanuel's presence.

No one--and I do mean no one--who speaks this way or even shows signs of thinking this way is allowed in my circle.  I would not allow him to work for me. If an employee at Manning Dog Training had EVER voiced such a threat, she'd be out the door!  Insult my intelligence, insult the way I look, insult what I do....but if you voice such inflammatory and vile thoughts toward my family, you're gone from my life!

Emanuel does, technically, work for all of us.  He visits our home (the White House).   We are the landlords.  His accepted presence incriminates his associates (those who inhabit the White House).  They are the tenants.

As a trainer, I'm thinking Bo's indoor peeing problem was likely submissive urination in the close presence of this loud, foul-mouthed visitor.  As a dog parent, I would rather picture Bo returning the ultimate doggy insult  to Emanuel...by hiking his leg on him.  No one would be more deserving.
--Jan

From Amazon.com:  "In The Promise: President Obama, Year One, Jonathan Alter, one of the country's most respected journalists and historians, uses his unique access to the White House to produce the first inside look at Obama's difficult debut."  The book will be released on May 18.

No comments: